Tuesday, March 1, 2011

shelves for Elliot

Do you remember when I posted about my wish list for the kids room? These shelves weren't on that list but I love them just as much as the Madison book rack. The shelves start at $39 which seems like a lot for a few pieces of wood stapled together.

Collector's Shelves

I really, really love the shelves and I just couldn't get them out of my head. I thought they would be perfect in Elliot's room so we decided to make a pair ourselves.  
Here's our version.


I'm so happy with the way they turned out, but I think Elliot likes them even more than I do.  As Jeff was hanging them last night he kept saying "Thank you dadda!" 
I wasn't planning on putting anything on them last night (so that the paint would have time to cure), but  Elliot was SO excited to put books up that he wouldn't go to sleep.  Around ten we finally let him put a few books on the shelves so that he would go to sleep.  I'm glad he likes them so much.


The best part is that these shelves only cost $24 to make!  We made them out of red oak boards from Home Depot.  Jeff did the assembling and I did the painting.  The shelves are each two feet long.  The paint color is Calypso from Ralph Lauren.  I had some left over from another project which was great (and free!).

Some of our favorite books

The back of the bottom shelf extends a few inches below the shelf (unlike the PotteryBarn version). I'm planning on putting some hooks there so that Elliot will have a place to hang up some hats and coats.

I've linked up to Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special.
 Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

No comments:

Post a Comment