Thursday, January 13, 2011

Butterflies for Emme

Being a stay at home mom has many advantages; today's was not having to worry about heading out to work when the roads looked like this

and the best mode of transportation is being pulled on a sled.

Even daddy got to work from home which was a nice change of pace for me and the kids.  We relaxed, watched movies, played in the snow and enjoyed being housebound for the day.

After the kids went to bed I started organizing my craft supplies and came across some pink scrapbook paper I had used to make Valentines Day cards a few years ago.  

I also found this little cardboard die cut butterfly (I have no idea where it came from)

Remember this butterfly mobile from my last post?  Since I had all the supplies I thought I might as well try to make a garland. (Why do I always start my projects late at night?)
Pink Paper Butterfly Mobile

So I traced the butterfly template onto the paper and cut, cut, cut.  After I had 16 butterflies (4 of each paper type) I strung them onto some thread by putting a dot of glue in the center of each butterfly and then pressing the thread into the glue.  I didn't want to use ribbon because I want the thread to sort of disappear so the butterflies look like they're floating.
The butterflies 

Two examples of the paper I used
The garland ready to hang

The garland hanging in the hallway until the baby wakes up
and I can hang it in her room
The garland is about six feet long.  I'll probably make a few more so that I can hang a few at various heights from wall to wall above Emme's crib.  

So instead of spending $40 I made a cute little garland for my darling girl for free!  Not too bad for a late night craft binge.

No comments:

Post a Comment